Your Guide to No-Cost Testing and Treatment as COVID-19 Surges
2 MINUTE READ
As the number of COVID-19 cases in New Jersey moves in the wrong direction, Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey will continue to do what’s right for our members and communities.
By Thomas Vincz, Public Relations Manager
When ordered by your doctor, testing, diagnosis and treatment for COVID-19 are available to Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey (Horizon BCBSNJ) members with zero out-of-pocket costs. Members will pay no deductible, copay or coinsurance for services ranging from doctor’s visits to hospital stays when their testing or treatment is related to COVID-19.
Members can also talk with your in-network doctor or get care through telemedicine services without incurring any out-of-pocket costs. Telemedicine not only helps members get the care they need, but helps reduce the spread of the coronavirus protecting the health of our members and the doctors and nurses who care for them.
What to know about testing
Simply put, if your doctor determines that you should be tested for COVID-19, your out-of-pocket costs for testing will be waived. A few things to know:
- Members can get their test covered at an in-network primary care physician or urgent care center or an in-network or out-of-network emergency room.
- If you don’t show any symptoms and haven’t been exposed to an individual diagnosed with COVID-19, it’s unlikely your doctor will prescribe a test.
- Many options exist for test including for those without a prescription and who will be paying out-of-pocket for their test. To learn where you can obtain a test visit the State of New Jersey’s COVID-19 Information Hub section on testing.
Antibody testing, which can potentially indicate whether someone has had a COVID-19 infection, is covered under certain conditions.
Treatment that’s safe and convenient
Members can rest assured that if they do fall ill with COVID-19, they will not need to pay any out-of-pocket costs or get a prior authorization for their treatment.
The waiver of member out-of-pocket costs for COVID-19 treatment, which is not required by law, has been extended for an additional three months through March 31, 2021.
This extension applies to Horizon BCBSNJ’s fully insured members, including those covered through Medicaid, Medicare Advantage, Individual and Small Group policies. The State Health Benefits Program (SHBP) and School Employees’ Health Benefits Program (SEHBP) have also agreed to administer benefits consistent with these changes. Other self-insured health plans are responsible for the specific plan designs they choose to offer to their employees, and we will continue to work with them to administer their plan designs as directed.
To help reduce the burden on the state’s health care facilities and ensure members get the care they need when they need it, the cost-sharing waiver also applies to telemedicine visits, including telephonic visits. Members can see an in-network doctor or use Horizon BCBSNJ’s telemedicine platform (HorizonCareOnline℠ ) for any covered purpose including diagnosis or treatment of COVID-19 – and even for routine care or mental health care.
Eligible members can find an in-network doctor here or access HorizonCareOnline through the Horizon Blue app, www.horizoncareonline.com, or www.HorizonBlue.com.
Here are some additional ways Horizon BCBSNJ members can receive advice and support:
- Members can talk to licensed nurses who can assist them with symptoms that are consistent with suspected COVID-19 infection. 24/7 access is provided at no cost.
- Commercially insured members: 1-888-624-3096
- Members covered through Medicaid plans: 1-800-711-5952
- SHBP/SEHBP members: 1-800-414-SHBP (7427)
- Horizon Chat for Care may be available to some members at no cost through the company’s free Horizon Blue app and www.HorizonBlue.com.