Five ways to lower prescription drug costs
3 MINUTE READ
Consider all the options to get the medication you need without breaking the bank.
For many, prescription drugs are essential to good health. But according to the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services 1, prescription drugs in the United States cost more than 2.5 times more than they do in other high-income nations. In fact, Americans pay more than anyone for their prescription drugs.
Horizon is making it easier to get the medicines you need at the best cost. Here are 5 ways to lower your prescription costs:
- Get familiar with our formulary. Formularies help Horizon negotiate the best prices from drug makers. The formulary (find the latest version here) may be your most important tool to gain access to safe, effective medications at the best cost.
The Horizon formulary has a tiered pricing structure, giving you a wide array of medications to choose from – including generic drugs – to help you get the best price possible for the drug you and your physicians choose. The formulary is updated at least quarterly.
- Use MyPrime to access your prescription information, understand your choices, and find the lowest-cost option.
Just click “Find a medicine” or “Find a pharmacy” to learn vital information about a drug, including which local pharmacies have it available – and at what cost. MyPrime is available for free to all Horizon members.
- Start with your doctor. Ask your doctor to use Horizon’s online Real Time Benefit tool to see how much the prescriptions they want you to take will cost you and review effective alternatives that cost less, but deliver the same medical benefit. The platform includes information on current medications, insurance coverage, out-of-pocket costs and up to three lower-cost alternatives for new prescriptions.
Opportunities to lower your drug costs start when your doctors writes a prescription.
- Amazon Pharmacy, for free home delivery. With Amazon Pharmacy, you can get many of your prescriptions filled and delivered directly to your door. The service is available to fill and deliver 90-day supplies of maintenance medicines. Horizon members (excluding those enrolled in Medicare Advantage, Medicare Prescription Drug and Braven Health℠ plans) also get a drug discount card called MedsYourWay® built into the Amazon Pharmacy experience.
To get started, visit amazon.com/horizonblue and click Get Started. It takes just a few minutes, and you’ll need a regular Amazon account.
- Save on specialty drugs. Certain drugs can offer breakthroughs in treatment for some of the most complicated medical conditions. These specialty drugs can be quite expensive, and sometimes may only be administered at a handful of major medical centers. For that reason, Horizon offers a Site of Service program to help make specialty drug treatment more accessible. Click here to review the list of in-network specialty drug pharmacies available to you.
Don’t pay more than you have to for prescription drugs – use the available tools to make sure you’re getting the medications you need at the best price.
1 Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, “Trends in Prescription Drug Spending, 2016-2021,” September 30, 2022.
Amazon Pharmacy is an independent company that provides pharmacy home delivery services for Horizon. MyPrime is a product of Prime Therapeutics. Prime Therapeutics is an independent company that supports Horizon in processing pharmacy claims, handling appeals, formulary management, benefit management, complaints, grievances, and clinical outreach activities. MedsYourWay® is a registered mark of Prime Therapeutics.